Saturday, March 5, 2011

When do you want to stop this thing? (or How unhealthy do you want to get?)

Since finding out that I can't live off of mush for brunch and a salad for dinner, Denise and I have been kicking around the idea of stopping our experiment. We had even thought about calling it quits after the two month mark.
But then we started talking about what we would let back into our diet. Cheese? Milk? Reasonable choices. Chocolate cake? Mama Dathie's Apple Dumplins? Tasty choices, but not really healthy choices. Pigs feet? That was a straight no. I've had barbecued pigs feet, and I can honestly say that is one portion of pig anatomy that holds no attraction for me.
When is it a treat, and when is it a sugary fat filled bomb that will give me a migraine and make me feel like crap? How unhealthy are we OK with being? Is being healthy 80% of the time acceptable? 90%? 99.5%? And how would you even gauge the acceptable level of crap to eat?
Hard questions, especially since I am finally starting to feel good. My energy level is great most of the time. I'm drinking coffee now more to avoid the withdrawal headache than to pep me up. I'm not nearly as constipated as I was before either. (We're all friends here, and when we're in our 80's that will be a normal topic of conversation.)
So I am less inclined to stop now that I am finally seeing some payback for all of my hard work. Also, I'm not so sure that we wouldn't revert back to old "sin and repent" eating habits. I think I need the extra discipline right now.
Thus I will continue with Jack Lalanne's words of wisdom:
"If man makes it, don't eat it."

No comments:

Post a Comment