Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Streak Is Over!


After total dessert abstinence all year, I caved in. I indulged in Mama Dathie's Apple Dumplins. And they were good. We were invited to a Mother's Day cookout and there were a multitude of Non-Lalanne approved foods stuffs. And I ate them, and I didn't really feel bad about it. Didn't even feel bad about not feeling bad about it. I also had a cupcake. and a literal bite of cake. And then Denise had a leftover cake sitting in the fridge from a Fancy Tea Party she went to Saturday, and I was all alone with it and The Boy was asleep and I had a piece of it. And Today at work they had a retirement party and they shoved brownies in my face and I ate three of them. Once I'm off the wagon I have a hard time jumping back on. Sunday was a balanced decision to enjoy some food prepared by the folks who had invited us, a time to relax and break bread and ribs with friends. That's cool. That's one of my goals, indulgence without guilt and hop right back into the swing of things. Today was not that good happy place, it was just a complete lack of self control. OK, I ate 5 brownies, but not all at once. And then I came home and had the stupid strawberry cake again. But it's gone now, I'm not digging in the trash for it.
Did I mention I have trouble controlling myself when it comes to baked goods?

I've been contemplating what Phase II of this experiment will be lately anyways. I have let a few things creep in- Organic Milk and Kashi or Fiber One Cereal, Cheese maybe once or twice a month, and I've been eating grains more often. All that cheating and I still have kept my weight around 178 pounds, up a mere three pounds from being really strict. Even after Sunday's indulgence, I was back down to 179.8#'s this morning. Tomorrow morning will be worse, of course.
So this next phase will be concentrated on exercising and eating as close as possible to how Jack Lalanne instructed his students to eat. I tried to eat just like Jack, and honestly couldn't do it. And that's OK, he didn't recommend folks to eat exactly like him. He admitted that part of the extreme discipline of his lifestyle was "an ego thing" for him. I'll report back with what the new food rules will be.
But I've got to decide what to do about dessert. Clearly we can't keep cake in the house anymore, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment