Saturday, January 29, 2011

WWJD?

No exercise for anyone today. Thanks to the blessing of Fatherhood, I was awake for over 22 hours yesterday. So we are taking the weekend off from strenuous exercise.
But it was a great day, so we took The Boy to the park, let him toddle around and fall outdoors and enjoy the fresh air. Like all good first time parents we took plenty of photographs and hovered over him. The other, more experienced, parents glanced at their kids every once in awhile and went back to chatting or reading. One lady didn't even get out of her car, just read People and waited, I suppose, for the sound of screaming.
With sunshine, families, and kiddie parks comes bags and bags of Fast Food. Yummy smelling fast food. Yummy smelling food in wrappers shiny with grease.
After we had spent a little over an hour we were hungry. I admit, it would have been nice to just go through a drive-thru on the way to the park or on the way home and inhale cheap food conveniently. Eating real food takes some planning, thinking, and well a bunch of effort.
What Would Jack Do? Jack wouldn't eat fast food. Jack would've reminded me that we enjoyed a smoothie with almond milk, strawberries, bananas and protein powder and that I really wasn't as hungry as I thought I was. And why would I want to waste calories and fat on crap in a wrapper just for convenience?
"A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips."
That's what Jack had been saying for decades, and would probably have told me today. And it's true. The folks eating the cheese off their wrappers with the paper still stuck to it did not look healthy. But they didn't seem to be bursting with energy. Merely bursting the buttons off their shirts or pants. Most did not look like Biggest Loser contestants, but a few did.
What price do we pay for convenient fast food?
What price do I pay for healthy food?
Which price is a better long term investment?

No comments:

Post a Comment